Since I last wrote, LOTS of things have happened:
1. I began my two-month long break from language class (hurray!), during which time I had planned to spend several hours a day EVERY day memorizing past lessons so I’d be totally ready for when class resumes in a couple weeks’ time. Well, apart from me answering basic queries in Spanish or French with my basic German (go me, right?!), not so much German has been practiced (uh-oh…). I keep telling myself I still have a couple weeks’ time so all is not lost, but yeah…still not so much studying German so far. One thing I am feeling good about (but that was totally useless on vacation) is that I realized I actually do know waaaaay more German than Spanish or French. Every time somebody asked me something, I pretty much wanted to blurt out the answer in German or tell them I didn’t understand in German. Not particularly useful in France or Spain, but made me feel good all the same. (What also made me feel good was the Mr. was totally rubbish, too; he often said ‘oui’ in Spain and ‘Si’ in France.) I’m starting to think there really might just be too many languages in Europe.
2. We went on vacation. Hurray! It was lovely. I think I shall write (a) separate post(s) as there is so much to say.
3. We celebrated Easter with the family. Hurray! I felt it went better this year as I did understand a bit more, at least when the conversation was nice and basic. I started drifting off and staring at ceiling cracks, however, when the conversation strayed into politics and I couldn’t follow. No bother; it was better, and that’s what counts.
4. We had good friends from Edinburgh visit us for a few days. Double hurray! A few days spent with friends and showing them the sights does wonders to help with homesickness, or in my case, more of a “friendsickness.” (I actually really enjoy living in Germany; I just wish my family & friends did, too.) Well, to be honest, I’m discovering that it somehow helps AND makes it worse all at the same time…because I’m reminded of just how much I miss having friends around.
5. I’m baking again. Hurray! (for my tummy, anyway, not so much for my waistline.) I baked American chocolate chip cookies again, and this time the Mr. helped as we only have a hand mixer and I find that once it gets to the “adding flour bit” my poor right hand (damaged from years of waitressing) can’t really cope. He kept asking me “when do we add the milk and water,” or something like that. To which I replied, of course, that you don’t add milk or water to chocolate chip cookies. Now you need to imagine his snobby German accent: “What?!” he gasps. “You mean there’s only sugar, flour and fat in these things?! They’re like heart-clogging artery bombs! No wonder America is fat!!” Yeah, whatever. See if you get any of MY cookies, Mr. Poo-Poo Head. I seem to remember you scarfing down quite a bit of the last batch….That being said, this batch actually came out pretty flat and pancake-like, which really annoys me, especially as these are actually for guests. I’m hosting a sort of afternoon tea tomorrow and have baked the cookies and will shortly head to the kitchen to bake some cupcakes. The cupcakes should prove interesting. I bought a German cake mix in a box, so I’m going try and convert that to cupcake form. Not sure how they’ll turn out, but at least I have the flat cookies as a back-up plan 🙂
So yeah…that’s pretty much the update. What’s new with you?